What To Do After A Car Or Truck Wreck
Here are some important things you should do immediately after a car wreck so that you preserve your rights:
- If your are in danger, then move your vehicle to a safe area if you can. Make sure the other driver follows you. If you can safely take a photo of the accident prior to moving the vehicle, then do so.
- Get the other driver’s license and insurance information. Take a photo of both his license and his insurance information with your camera phone.
- Call the police and ask them to come to the scene to create a police report.
- If any witnesses have stopped to help, ask them if you can have their phone number and write it down in a safe place where you can find it. The police will usually NOT record this information for you, so do not count of them to do so. Also, witnesses often leave once they know everybody is okay, make sure you get their contact info as soon as possible.
- Take a picture of the vehicle damage by taking photos from the back, sides, and the four corners of the vehicle.
- Take pictures of any cuts or bruises you suffered as a result of the accident.
- Call your insurance adjuster and report the accident to them.
- Call the other driver’s insurance adjuster and start the claim process.
- If hurt, go to the doctor and get examined. You may want to consider an ambulance ride at the time of the accident if hurt bad enough. Many times people do not start experiencing pain until several hours after the accident, if this is the case, then go to an urgent care facility for an examination.
- Call a personal injury attorney if you are unable to negotiate a fair settlement with either your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance.